Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Week 17

How far along are you? 

17 weeks.


























I went to see the midwife today for a routine appointment and found out that I am actually a bit further along than I thought. At the 12 week dating scan we were so focused on getting our wiggly baby into a good position to be measured that we completely forgot to ask about the due date! We thought it was August 10th, but it turns out the little one is expected on August 5th. Dave's mom, Pauline, was born on this date. It also happens to be the day after Dave's birthday. 

How big is the baby? 

The baby is the size of an onion. It is 5.1 inches long and weighs about 5.9 oz. 

How I’m feeling: 

Good. I'm still a bit tired but exercising definitely energises me. My moods has stabilised again. 

Healthy eating? 

I have fruit covered but need to eat more vegetables. I'm still working to keep my sugar intake under control. 

Food cravings: 

This isn't really a craving but we've had hot ham and cheese (the gruyere I mentioned in the 16 week post) several nights in a row. 

Food aversions:

None. 

Exercise: 

So far I have taught five yoga classes this week. I also went to Zumba on Monday night and pregnancy yoga on Tuesday. 

Total weight gain/loss: 

+ 9 pounds 

Sleep: 

I still wake up regularly. Last night I was awake from 2:30 - 4:30am. I did sleep really soundly from 6:30 - 8:00am. 

Maternity clothes?

Aside from the tank tops, not really. 

Stretch marks?

No. 

Best moment(s) this week: 

Finding out my actual due date. It was also kind of fun to fast forward and suddenly be 17 weeks along. And, it made me feel a little less crazy about the kicks and punches I swear I've been feeling. 

Movement: 

The midwife asked me about movement and I described the poking or tapping sensation I've felt occasionally for a week or so. She confirmed it probably is the baby. Yay! 

One of the nice things about waking up in the middle of the night is that there is very little to do besides rest and connect with the baby. So far that's when I feel him/her most clearly. Clients have warned me the baby's movement will eventually keep me awake but I don't think I'll mind. I am just grateful to have this kiddo around. 

Belly button in or out? 

In. 

Symptoms: 

The same skin changes of the past few weeks. 

I've had a few stretching pangs in my abdomen. It passed quickly and isn't very uncomfortable. 

My belly is getting rounder and the lower abdomen feels harder and heavier. 

Gender:  

Last night I had a dream about the baby. I was in Kansas hanging out with Claire at a house. I felt the baby move and asked Claire if she wanted to feel it. I showed her the spot - located right behind my (non-existent in real life) tattoo of a cartoon rabbit. Of course, right? Then we just happened to have an ultrasound machine and pressed the transducer over my belly. Guess what we saw? A little boy with a full head of dark hair, wearing a hat, completely dressed. Ha, ha, ha! I woke up and smiled because it was so funny to me. 

Labor signs: 

No. 

What I miss: 

Nothing, really. 

What I'm looking forward to:

The paint chips arrived today. Hopefully we'll pick a colour for the nursery soon! 

More movement.  

Weekly wisdom: 

Trust your gut! 

Milestones: 

I went a pregnancy yoga class as a student, rather than a teacher, for the first time. There were three other women in the class, all of whom are due well before me. I bet some others closer to my due date will join soon. The teacher has seventeen years of experience as an Active Birth educator and doula. I am excited to work with someone with such a wealth of knowledge. Personally, I loved having two hours to focus on myself and the baby. Although, I must admit I always become a bit self conscious as a professional attending another teacher's class.  However, I was pleased to see that a lot of what she teaches is similar to what I offer. Now I need a few more years of experience under my belt! 

Dave's take: 

This week he told me about an article he read in the Economist about how to develop children's language skills. Before I was pregnant I don't think this piece would have registered with him in the same way. I love that he's taking an interest and it reminds me that I'm not the only one expecting!



I also mentioned something pregnancy related to him (I can't remember what exactly) and he responded in a way that seemed really well informed. I suspect he's been doing some covert reading about all this baby business! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck my Lolly