Sunday, April 6, 2014

Week 22

How far along are you? 

22 weeks. 

























How big is the baby? 

Our baby is the size of a papaya. It is between 10.5 inches and 11.2 inches in length. It weighs between 12.7 oz and 20.8 oz.

How I’m feeling: 

Stretched a bit thin and more sensitive than usual. Now that the term is starting and the builders have cleared out things should settle down. 

Healthy eating? 

This week was definitely better than the last. 

Food cravings: 

The builders were here until 7:30 pm Friday night so we decided to have our end of week dinner date locally. We went to Delisserie, a Jewish New York style deli a couple of suburbs over in Temple Fortune. I had mini latka balls (which turned out to be not so mini) with applesauce to start, a chicken schnitzel as a main, and a side of sliced new green cucumbers (AKA dill pickles). It was so satisfying. Total comfort food. I had hoped to fit in some cheesecake but I was absolutely stuffed!

Then I had my first real crazy pregnancy craving. I told Dave that I wanted to come back one day and get a side of latkes, a side of sliced new green cucumbers, and a chocolate thick shake. No more, no less. The perfect combo of salty and sweet.

I still love sweet things. A couple of dark chocolate squares takes the edge off. 

Food aversions:

Nothing out of the ordinary. 

Exercise: 

I stuck to my normal routine except for skipping prenatal conditioning on Sunday. After six days of early mornings because of the construction I really wanted to sleep in, so I did! 

Total weight gain/loss: 

I didn't weigh myself this week. 

Sleep: 

We crashed on a mattress in the living room all week. Not an ideal set up but I managed to get some good rest. The early mornings coupled with the time change have proved a bit of a challenge. It's a real luxury that because my work starts and finishes late I can normally sleep in. Having that advantage during pregnancy has been amazing. 

Maternity clothes?

The maternity clothes I ordered arrived from the States. Thanks for sending them, Lauren! I now have a second pair of jeans which is so helpful. 

Stretch marks?

No. 

Best moment(s) this week: 

While this week was chaotic with all the builders in, we did manage to find a bit of peace in the sunshine on Saturday. We spread a blanket out on the lawn, ate brunch, and then stretched out to rest and read. That evening we went out in the city and had a delicious meal.  Both scenarios were a welcome change to the sound of saws and drills, the smells of plaster and paint, and the general hubbub inside our house. 

The work is finally done! Hooray! Most of the tasks were boring, practical jobs rather than gratifying, visually exciting changes. Still, it's so nice to have problem areas sorted. One less thing to deal with after we have a child. 

The biggest changes were in the ensuite bathroom and guest bedroom. 

The bathroom 

Before

 It was a dark, unusable space because the lights and fan did not work. Basically, the electrics were not up to the standards needed for a wet room. 



After 

That is all fixed now. Cosmetically, everything in this room was in fairly good condition except for the floor and flaking wall paint. So, we replaced the floor tiles and repainted the walls white. Not massive changes but freshening up the space. 

Dave left me in charge of picking the tiles. I couldn't resist bringing in a little bling! 
















The guest room 

Before 

This was the first room we tackled when we moved in. We patched the cracks and painted the walls a dark grey. As time passed, the colour palette of the interiors changed to lighter, brighter colours and then this room didn't feel like it flowed with the rest of the house. Plus, the dark grey highlighted the unevenness of the walls and the damp patches caused from the gaps in mortar between the bricks outside. 































After 

Now the missing mortar has been repaired, the walls have been damp-proofed, plastered, and painted. The colour makes the room feel big and airy. It's hard to tell in the photos but it's pale blue-green. We still need to replace the hideous blue carpeting but that should be an easy, inexpensive fix.
























Movement: 

Yes, lots. It reminds me of when you throw a stone in water and there's an epicentre and then  waves rippling outward. 

Belly button in or out? 

In, but stretching. 

Symptoms: 

Holy hormones! At the grocery store I picked up some tulips and daffodils. Somehow they didn't make it down the conveyor belt and I only realised after we'd left the store. This triggered the water works and a bit of a meltdown. Suddenly, EVERYTHING was wrong and then a few minutes later I was fine. 

My skin is not as itchy which is a relief. 

There's still a bit of heartburn now and then but it's manageable. 

Gender:  

Still taking bets 

Labor signs: 

No, thankfully. 

What I miss: 

Nothing, really. 

What I'm looking forward to:

It's time to tackle the baby's room! This weekend we're going to clear the space and start stripping the wallpaper. We are both so ready to have this room sorted. 

Weekly wisdom: 

Some of the wild pregnancy stories you hear about are true. For example, a strong desire to eat pickles and ice cream at the same time is a real thing! 

Milestones: 

I was sitting downstairs on the bus when a mom rolled the coolest pushchair in. Then she did the craziest spin move seen in the first few seconds of this video. It was so cool! I started to stare at the base to find the brand. She saw me and my "Baby on board!" badge and immediately engaged me in conversation. She told me it is called the Mothercare Orb and it is awesome. People can be really grumpy on public transportation here, especially if they feel inconvenienced. Even some of the sweetest people I know have complained about how prams and pushchairs take up too much space. So, the fact this pram can swivel around and out of other commuters way easily is really brilliant. In the two stops together before I exited, she also suggested a couple of bottles she likes. One of the moms from class told that London becomes a very friendly place when you're pregnant. This was my first experience with a total stranger chiming in about our baby's arrival. 

(Tangent - Here there are prams that typically face you and are for babies, pushchairs/buggies that generally face out and are for older babies and toddlers, and strollers for toddlers. Quite a minefield for parents to be!) 

Dave's take: 

Dave told me he's becoming very aware of pregnant women on the train. He's now making an extra effort to watch out for them and offer a seat as needed. 

He has also come home a couple of times this week and mentioned conversations he's had during the day about his pregnant wife and expected baby. These chats haven't just been with close colleagues but others he doesn't know as well. It makes me really happy that he's so excited to share our news. 

P.S.

Folks, I know I owe some of you an email. I hope to catch up this week. Keep an eye on your inbox! 

2 comments:

Lauren: ) said...

I'm glad your clothes made it and that you jeans fit - yay! Hope this week is a little less chaotic and that you can sleep in! LOVE YOU!

Ria said...

I saw the Orb the other day and thought of you! As one of the people who has complained about massive prams on rushhour public transport I approve of this one!! X
ps LOVE the bling!

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck my Lolly